Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Losing My Shadow

4 1/2 year ago at the "Antler House"

I just got off the phone with my mom. My dog will cease to be on this earth on Friday. Talk about heart-wrenching news. I love Shadow, and I've loved him since the day he found me.

It was a very cold, dark January 29th, and I was getting ready in the morning. I had a basketball game (middle school cause i'm that talented haha) that day so I was up a few minutes earlier than normal to make sure I grabbed everything before seminary. I walked through the family room and heard a noise outside. It creeped me out so my 14 year old awkward self ran back to my room. I decided it was my imagination so I bolted across the house and heard the noise again. I ran in and awoke my dad, as I fear looking outside if it's dark. He got up, and saw a small, dark dog in our yard. It became my task to try to get the dog inside, and find out if it had tags. The poor chocolate brown chihuahua was shaking like it was a 9.7 m earthquake. Eventually he literally hopped into my arms and I carried him inside. Our bond was created: he was MY dog. 

After a week of hunting for the owners, we decided to keep him, and named him Shadow, since he was afraid of his own shadow. He became part of the family; got a nickname ("The Rat') and slept right next to me in bed. I loved having that extra warmth next to me, even in Texas. He loved me, and I loved him. He would get excited when I came home from school and got along extremely well with Shelbie. He was very protective of me, and didn't like men being around, which led to humorous moments at the front door haha.

Now, Shadow is probably 16 years old and struggling. He's been losing his teeth for quite a while, hates eating, and excludes himself from everything and everyone. he has trouble jumping on the couch to sit by my mom and brother, and has a tumor on his leg.

Shadow has been my constant companion for the past handful of years and I love him deeply. Shadow is part of my forever family, and I can't wait to see him again. I'm glad I had the chance to see him this summer one last time.

1 comment:

  1. Awww this made me so sad. Losing your dog is so hard :( It's been a year since my dog died and I still miss her and talk about her. Luckily I now have Noodle who is the biggest idiot/sweetheart ever to help though haha. Love you girl.

    ReplyDelete